Cultural Diversity at Pace

“What does Pace mean to you in one word?”

diversityA Freshman course at Pace University offered this open ended question to all students as an ice-breaker. Students went on to say “knowledge, quality,  family, and diversity.” At Pace, there are close to 13,000 students. About 12.2% of the population represent International students from 95 different Countries. The demographics further reveal that the remaining 87.8% range from Whites, Hispanics, African Americans, Pacific Islanders and categories for two or more races.

When different cultures come together, it calls for individuals to interact with each other. More specifically, students alike can work as a team during group assignments where they are then challened. When working alongside someone who does not share the same values or opinions as you, and English is not their first language, it may be a challenge, but some call it an opportunity. The President of Pace University, Mr. Stephen J. Friedman would quote the school’s Mission Statement in one word, Opportunistas. 

The Office of Multicultural Affairs at Pace University says that they recognize that diversity helps foster a strong and vibrant learning environment for students. Pace is not only a culturally diverse University when it comes to national origin,  but also diverse in religion, age, disability, citizenship, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital or domestic partnership status. The next event facilitated by the OMA is “An evening with Dr. Cornel West” held on October 13, 2016 at the Schimmel Theater.

0000005272992006001654235
For questions about this event, you can contact Jonelle james (jj94695n@pace.edu), Raziyah Eure (re30776n@pace.edu), or Dr. Denise Santiago (212-346-1546) . There have been 237 tickets reserved so far. Get yours now!

 

Featured Photo Credit: DiverseEducation.Com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s